Medical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
By Derek G. Waller & Anthony Sampson & Andrew Hitchings
Medical Pharmacology & Therapeutics provides all the information medical and healthcare students need throughout their degree programme and beyond, including for professional qualifications such as the PSA.
This all-round textbook covers basic pharmacology through to drug prescribing in clinical contexts, covering the pathogenic mechanisms of disease; drug actions, side effects, and the therapeutic principles of drug use. It takes a helpful systems-based approach that orders information according to body systems and disease areas, rather than by drug class.
Now in its sixth edition, the book has been fully updated to include latest scientific understanding of drug action and administration and current best practice in prescribing medications, informed by the latest national guidelines.
- A clinical focus throughout – suitable for medical, nursing and other healthcare students throughout their training
- Thorough update of clinically-relevant medicines to ensure best practice
- Information aligned with the British National Formulary (BNF), NICE guidelines and relevant professional benchmarks
- Comprehensive drug compendia allow all drugs to be identified and placed within their respective classes
- Extensive self-assessment questions to support learning and revision
- New to this edition Expanded discussion of the pathophysiology and management of shock
- Revised discussion of the management of chronic pain
- Consideration of treatment of Covid-19